Monday, June 23, 2008

Response to Free Speech for the Dumb (http://holidaysalsa.blogspot.com)

While I do agree that free speech is one of our most important rights,I don't necessarily agree that it is acceptable in every situation. I feel that one's free speech should be protected the majority of the time, when a person wants to criticize the government, bring awareness to an issue, etc. However, I feel that when people say hateful things against other ethnic groups, different genders, etc their behavior shouldn't go unpunished. While we do live in a free society, I feel like cultural sensitivity is a crucial issue as well. Considering that America is such a diverse nation with many different groups, it is imperative that people make an effort to be empathetic toward different races, classes, creeds,etc. I agree that there is a fine line and it is impossible to know what exactly offends each person, however, the least we can do is prevent our country from becoming a breeding ground for hatred. You mention that you "cringe when a redneck makes a racist comment"--while the individual making this comment may be exercising his/her right to free speech, he/she is infringing on another individual's sense of security. Again, I'm all for free speech as long as speakers make a conscious effort not to be deliberately hateful and offensive.

No comments: